All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Liverpool-Kritiania, October 1914
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tgillam
New on board

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  13:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to trace a journey by one or two Russians from Genoa-Nice-Marseilles-Paris-Boulogne-London-Liverpool-Kristiania-Stockholm-Petrograd. They were travelling home around war-torn Europe. One or both of them arrived in Stockholm on October 15th or 16th, having left London for Liverpool on October 10th.
I think this means that they boarded the S.S.Aaro at Liverpool on 10th.
Can anyone tell me if there is another ship they could have used. How long would the voyage to Kristiania have taken and when did the Aaro arrive?
Is there any chance of finding a passenger list?
TGillam

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  15:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.wrecksite.eu reports Aaro was built 1909 by Earle's of Hull for the Wilson Line of Hull. She was sunk en route from Hull to Kristiania by German submarine U20 on 1 August 1916 some 25 miles SW of Stavanger with 3 casualties.

Please clarify the year of the voyage you are researching.

Do you have a confirmed source for the voyage to Norway starting in Liverpool ?? Hull might be more "logical" ??
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  16:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you search this site for Passenger Lists & Emigrants, records show in 1914 the Wilson Line of Hull was indeed running vessels on the Kristiania - Liverpool route. It shows the SS Aaro departing Kristiania three times - 10 October, 24 October and 7 November. With minimal demeurrage, one might assume the inward arrivals from Liverpool could have been the same day or previous day.

Two other Wilson Line vessels also made voyages on this route around this time - the ss Oslo and the SS Eskimo.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  22:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S/S Aaro left Oslo (Kristiania) on October 10th, 1914.
I guess the time it took to Liverpool would be 1½ - 2 days.
So a possible arrival in L'pool could be October 12th, with a likely return on October 13th?
Thus; the ship S/S Aaro could be back in Kristiania on the 15th, at best.
But since this was under WWI, there could be obstacles that made the journey take longer time.
I have not seen any, and I doubt there exist a passenger list for this "return" voyage.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/08/2013 23:02:59
Go to Top of Page

Tgillam
New on board

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  12:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to trace a Russian who was returning to St Petersburg after being interned in Germany at the beginning of World War 1 and then released. He was in London on the evening of Friday, October 9th (there are 2 newspaper articles about this). One of the articles says he was leaving on Saturday 10th for Liverpool to go by ship to Kristiania. He had arrived in Kristiania and gone on to Stockholm, certainly by October 17th and probably by the 16th.
I found the S.S. Aaro and the date of October 10th online but hadn't realised that this was a Kristiania to Liverpool leg rather than the other way round.
The estimate of 1½ to 2 days for the voyage and 1 day to "turn around" seems reasonable. How do I confirm this - Lloyds List, ads in the Liverpool papers..... ?

don't understand
Go to Top of Page

David Yaw
Medium member

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  16:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The voyages listed on this site indicate the departure dates from Kristiania to Liverpool in 1914 were typically at 13/14 day intervals - its the same period for each of the 3 vessels plying this route at this period.

If Aaro sailed from Kristiania on 10th, using Jan Peter's steer on voyage time, she would not arrive Liverpool until 12 or 13 perhaps depending on tides. So for her to be ready to depart Kristiania again on her subsequent voyage on 24th - and assuming there was no intermediate voyage or port of call - a routine could be :

Depart Kristiania 10th
3 days voyage arrive Liverpool 13th
4 days unloading/loading, depart Liverpool 17th
3 days back to Kristiania, arrive 20th
4 days unloading/reloading, depart Kristiania 24th.

Doesn't seem to match very well with the dates for your Russian passenger from the newspaper articles.

I checked with Findmypast - could not find a departure sailing from Liverpool to Norway/Sweden in 1914, nor from Hull (maybe these were "military" sailings and not recorded ????)

Check out Liverpool Echo and Liverpool Mercury with British Newspapers Online - there are references to the SS Aaro, but you need subscription to get full text - I suspect the articles are about its sinking. My further guess is that newspapers in port cities stopped the practice of printing departures and arrivals of vessels during wartime as a security measure - but check that with an "authority", eg National Archives.

Maybe someone has subscription to the Norwegian newspaper archives, and maybe they would carry this info.
Go to Top of Page

Tgillam
New on board

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2013 :  12:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the detailed reply. It looks as though the only way to crack this problem is through some detailed work at the British Newspaper Library. Fortunately, I'm used to that.
Tgillam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article