All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Who was my grandad ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nilberg
Starting member

Norway
17 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2002 :  20:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My granddad ENGVALD (NILBERG) was born 29. september 1889. His mother was Marie Iversen and his father unknown (actually his father was a shipowner in Trondheim, Norway whom Marie Iversen worked for. We don't know his name). At the age of 15 (approx 1904-05) he was sent (by his father) to America to get an education. He started his own business over there and was (or so I have been told) moderately wealthy. He was a member of Nordmanns-Forbundet and left America just before WW1. It was meant to be a short visit to marry my grandmother Emilie Lillevold Johansen, but as the big war started she did not want to go. They stayed in Norway and later moved to Strømmen, Norway, where they stayed untiol my grandfathers death at by cancer 42 years old.

I've been searching the web for information about his life in America. We're having problems because we don't know if he took the name Nilberg before or after leaving Norway for America. My aunt thought his fathers name was Johan and that he might have used the name Johansen. OR the his mothers name Iversen. Search in Norwefian databases has not helped to find any records of his birth or of his mother Marie. We wonder if he started a family in America before he went back to Norway and that this might be the reason why he did not return .....

Any ideas where we can go from here ?

Kind regards
Elisabeth Nilberg

Trond

Norway
174 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2002 :  00:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei Elisabeth,

At Digitalarkivet’s record of emigrants leaving Trondheim there is information of Engvald (Ingvald Johan) leaving Trondheim in May 30, 1906 on the steamship Salmo for Hull England. His final destination was Edgerton, Wisconsin.

According to the Ellis Island records Engvald arrived in New York on June 13 on the S/S Caronia of Cunard Line. He is filed under the name Ingvald Nelberg
There is no scanned image of the manifest, but the manifest might give some additional information where he was going in the US and other valuable information about Engvald.

Trond Austheim

Edited by - Trond on 15/10/2002 00:38:40
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2002 :  11:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks very plausible to me, although it weakens the theory about the father being a ship owner from Trondheim, as the 1900 records stats that Ingvald was born in Dønna, Nordland. The parish registers of Dønna aren't online, but a look up at the state archives of Trondheim should reveal the father.

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2002 :  14:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the records you can see that Birger is born in Trondheim with another father (the Jacobsen your aunt mentioned?). I would think that if anybody in this mystery is a ship owner it's Birger's father. Ingvald was probably born in Dønna before Maria moved to Trondheim. Another mystery seems to be the name Nilberg. I cant find it to be a farm name. Do you have a clue?

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2002 :  15:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is probably Maria in the 1865 census:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=arkivverket/ft1865/f61828&variabel=0&postnr=2840&fulle=true&spraak=7
unfortunately she is a fosterchild, so it's hard to find her parents without any baptism records.
This might be Maria in the 1875 census. It doesn't give much new, except that her middle name is Jonette.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=arkivverket/ft1875/f71828&variabel=0&postnr=3097&fulle=true&spraak=F

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2002 :  08:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are other Nilbergs in Norway. At least a bass player in a blues band in the Stavanger area. Found him on the net. Good luck with gettin permission to open the suitcase in the attic.

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  14:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1894 Marie was living at Hospitalsløkken 19 in Trondheim according to the Trondhjem adress registers:
http://www.tfb.no/db/adresseboktrondheim/1894/3_0_20021002_145912.pdf
I can't find her in the registers of 1893, but a plumber named Iver Iversen lives at Hospitalsløkken 19 this year. Could it be someone related to Marie?
http://www.tfb.no/db/adresseboktrondheim/1894/3_0_20021002_145912.pdf

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2002 :  14:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It' s probably just a coincidence that Iver Iversen lives at Hospitalsløkken in 1893-4. He is in Trondheim also when Ingvald is born in Dønna.

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  08:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Marie who was living at Hospitalsløkken 19 in 1894, was actually living just next to my gggrandfather's house. He lived in number 16

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  08:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Ingvald is born in Dønna and his halfbrother is born in Trondheim, I would think that Marie Iversen came to Trondhjem about when she first appears in the adress books - around 1893/94. In 1894 she makes a living from sewing. There was a national census in Norway in 1891. I think you would find Marie and Ingvald in that census - in Dønna. Unfortunately it's not microfilmed yet, so you wold have to get someone at the Riksarkivet in Oslo or someone with the time to do a lookup to check the census for you. Or make a trip to Norway yourself - lots of americans visit the Riksarkivet in Oslo during the summers to search for ancestors.
Here is the english web page of Riksarkivet:
http://www.riksarkivet.no/english/about.html

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2002 :  16:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to inform you that Marie Moved from hospitalsløkken to Kirkegaten 57 (57 Church street) between 1896 and 1897:
http://www.trondheim.folkebibl.no/db/adresseboktrondheim/1897/3_2_20021105_131227.pdf

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

thelebrity

Norway
234 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2002 :  15:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again!
Just a little more about Marie Iversen's movements in Trondheim:
In the 1900 census she is living in Rosenborggaten (Rosenborg street) 26. But in the 1900-01 adress book of Trondheim she is living at Øver Bakklandet (Upper Bakklandet) 46. At the same adress one Anna Iversen (also making a living from sewing) is living.
Hope this is any help at all.

Per Helge Seglsten
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1297 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2003 :  23:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooops, could that be Ivar Krueger, the well known Swedish Match King

The story of Krueger’s decline and fall is told in a book by John Train - "Famous Financial Fiascos"

Børge Solem

Edited by - Borge on 14/02/2003 23:07:25
Go to Top of Page

jurnie
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2004 :  17:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DO you have any clues on the names of these Krugers. There as Ive been finding out TWO prominent Krugers in Norway. My family is from the Bergen Area. Then there is a branch in northern Norway. Which may be one of my 5th Great Uncles.

Feel free to email me if you need

Janet kruger

quote:
Originally posted by nilberg

News for the Nilbergs (still don't have a clue where the name comes from). A cousin of mine in Norway (I never knew I had one) was searching for info on our family and found this site. She contacted me and we have shared our info. She found our great grandfather ! His name was Krüger/Krueger. He was married 4 times, rich and it's said he owned Nittedal Fyrstikfabrik. This can explain his contact with Hambro. Krüger lived in Dønna at one time, but we cannot find his name in the records. Our great Grandmother Marie Iverdatter was exceptionally pretty, or so we've been told...The story say Krüger paid for my grandfathers US passage and his eduation bacause he saw that his son was an intelligent young man... My grandfather also worked for one of his ventures when he came back to Norway just before WW1. My cousin has placed a request with Nittedal Bibliotek to find out more.
Any ideas how we can find out more about this Krüger caracter ?
Regards Elisabeth Nilberg

researching the Names: Kruger/Krüger,Svang,Foster,Eastham,Dovidaitis,Finde,Leganger,Borgen,Astrup
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article