All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Haugedalen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  15:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great-great grandfather was Gregor Olson, b. May 19, 1829 in Haugedalen, Norway. I have been looking on maps, trying to find this place. Am I right that Haugedalen means "Hawks valley"? I've found a Haukedalen in Sogn og Fjordane and am wondering if that is the Haugedalen that I am looking for. When I do an internet seach for Haugedalen, Norway, one of the results is Rena-Haugedalen. I know where Rena is, just east of Lillehammer, but I'd like to know if either one of these is the right place.

Also, his wife, Kjerstin Marie Halvorsdatter, b. October 13 1833. The info I have from Rootsweb is that she was born in Bamle, Norway. I'm not sure where this is, but I do know of Bamble in Telemark, Norway. Near Bamble, there is a lake named Haukedalsvatnet. This is the area that I think they would both have come from, since they were suppose to be near where my Isaksen/Isakson side of the family came from and they were from Risor (with a line through the o), Aust-Agder area.

If anyone can clear this up, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks.

Lislcat

Edited by - Lislcat on 14/11/2006 15:46:58

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  17:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
here is their original marriage record from Søndeled church in Aust-Agder, 23-sep-1854. Marriage record #17 on that page.

It says that Gregers father is Ole Olsen. Her father looks to be Halvor Berntsen. He is 25, she is 21. Looks like his place of origin is "Houkedalen" Not sure where that is (yet)...

And here is his christening record... it says he is born in Sønderled, Aust-Agder.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/11/2006 17:37:23
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  17:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is from the Haugedal farm in Søndeled parish in Aust-Agder. Here they are in census-1865.

Vocabulary:
huusfader - housefather
kone - wife
moder - mother
søn - son
datter - daughter
deres - their
hans - his
hendes - her
føderaadsenke - widow, living on benefits derived from a surrendered property
føderaadsmand - man, living on benefits derived from a surrendered property
sindssvag - mad, mentally deranged
tjenestedreng - male servant
tjenestepige - female servant

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/11/2006 18:10:24
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  18:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1865 census indicates farms by the name of 'Haugedal' in Søndeled, Risøer, Aust-Agder.

Greger and his family live there in 1865.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=22&filnamn=f60913&gardpostnr=268&sokefelt=skjul
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  18:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kirsten Marie is born in Porsgrunn, Telemark, from parents Halvor Berntsen & Karen Kirstine Paulsdr.

Another record said Herre Jernverk (Herre Iron Mill), in Porsgrunn. Herre Jernverk was situated in Bamble, just south-west of Porsgrunn/Skien. I guess it should be where Bamble cellulose factory are located nowadays.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  19:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! I can't believe how much information you've just given me on my famly. I'm literally in tears! I now have information on my great-great-great grandparents. This is just wonderful. Would you know how to find out about the ship that they sail on in 1892. I've searched on Ancestry.com shiplists, but haven't found anything yet. Clearing up the name Haugedalen is such a relief. In the U.S. census, the family sometimes went by the names Haugedalen, Gregerson or Olson. My father always told me that the Gregerson's and Olson's were the same, but I never really understood why, until I started doing this research. Once I get all this information entered, then I will have questions for you on Anders Isaksen b. Sept 16, 1863, in Holt, Aust-Agder, Norway. I have that he was christened October 25, 1863 and that his parents were Isak Andersen and Anne Jacobsdatter. I'd like to know if he had any siblings and if there is a farm name. He married Halvine, daughter of Greger and Kirsten, in 1894.

Jan Peter - You mentioned the Herre Jernverk (Herre Iron Mill). Did you think that Halvor Berntsen worked there? This is so interesting.

Thank-you all for your help, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  20:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
yes, I would say that Halvor must have had his work at Herre Jernverk.
I think we even know his profession, his title was Hammermester... :-)

Because, look at this page: link

Someone must have done some good research in churchbooks or censuses, because he is titled Hammermester (which is a profession, and not a firstname...)

Hammermester = hammer master was a very skilled profession at an iron mill.

The Iron mill could e.g. produce ovens like this one:

Halvor Barentsen (20) & Karen Kirstine Poulsdr (19)
Marriage: 05 Apr 1833, Porsgrunn, Telemark, Norway

His father: Barent Halvorsen
Her father: Poul Olsen link

And this is interesting! There was also a very big ironmill very close to Sønderled, called Næs Jernverk! It was situated in what is now called Tvedestrand, see map.

My guess is that Halvor Berntsen moved there with his family to pursue a new job, and maybe that's how Kirsten met Greger...?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  20:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here is Halvor & family on Akeland farm (Øilandsdal) in Søndeled, Aust-Agder in census 1865!
link
Occupation reads farmer and blacksmith. They must have lived in Søndeled for over 25 years, because their oldest son is born there.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 14/11/2006 20:40:08
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  21:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders Isaksen's mother is widowed by the time of the1865 Norwegian census -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0913&kenr=005&bnr=0008&lnr=000
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  21:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter
Thank-you so much! Now I wish that we still had a blacksmith in the family. That would have been a good trade to be passed on. I am planning a trip to Norway and Denmark in 2008 and as I learn more and more about where our family came from, I am planning out all of our stops. So far, my grandmother's side is all from the same area, so that helps. My grandfather's side is difficult, because his father may have changed his name when he got here. His name was Johannes Berge, b. June 1854 in Norway. The story goes that he came over with a brother in 1874 and they split up when they reached New York. My great grandfather went to Portage County, Wisconsin and he never heard from his brother again. I have all the U.S. census information on Johannes and his wife Olina, but I can't track him back to Norway. The other problem is that I can't find out what Olina's maiden name was. I believe that she was born in Wisconsin, but I can't find a marriage record for the two of them. I'm going to try looking for a church record. Thanks again for all your help. Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  23:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Anders Isaksen's mother is widowed by the time of the1865 Norwegian census -
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0913&kenr=005&bnr=0008&lnr=000

Thanks for info on Anders Isaksen's mother. Sad to think that she was widowed by the time she was 20. Now I can try and find his sister. Maybe she came over with him or around the same time. Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page

Roehea
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  01:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How exciting! My husband's great-great-grandmother was Karen Halvine Halvorsdr, sister to Kirstine. While I had some of the family information due to other generous Norwegians and Norwegian researches, I certainly learned some interesting details (especially what happened to at least one of Karen's siblings).

Karen married Lars Ellefsen in 1871 and immigrated to the United States in 1884. She was living in Marinette, Marinette, Wisconsin by 1885 as she gave birth to my husband's great-grandfather, Casper Larson. Karen died 18 Dec 1930 in Marinette, she went by Karen Larson for most of her time in the US.
Go to Top of Page

Roehea
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  02:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another discovery, a quick google search leads me to believe that another sister, Anne Katrine, married Knut Pettersen in 1858. That gives me an inkling at least, of what happened to three of the children.

I cannot make out much of what is said, as the thread is not in English, but I believe I have an overall grasp of it:

http://www.grenlandslekt.no/phorum-3.3.2c/read.php?f=1&i=4107&t=4090&v=t
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  23:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roehea: Knut Pettersen, married 01-oct-1858 with Anne Cathrine Halvorsdtr. (1839-1902).
She was a daughter of Halvor Berntsen and Karen Paulsdtr. Halvor Berntsen was a "hammermester" at Rødshammeren, and came there from Herre, but was born in Holla (son of Bernt Halvorsen and Maren Olsdtr.). Knut died on 13-jan-1876.

A lot of other info was given on http://www.grenlandslekt.no/....

From Søndeled slektshistorie volume V (p. 510-512):

Children of Halvor Berntsen and Kari Kristine Paulsdatter:

1. Kirstine Marie Halvorsdtr., b. ab. 1833, m. 23-sep-1854 in Søndeled with Gregers Olsen Haukedal (ca. 1829-1889).
2. Anne Katrine Halvorsdtr., b. 3-jan-1836, prob. died young.
3. Bernt Karl Halvorsen, b. 23-mar-1837, d. 4-apr-1874, m. 31-oct-1861 with Berte Gjermundsdtr. Songe (1838-1878). Berte married 2) with Edvard Petter Karlson from Sweden. Bernt K. Halvorsen bought a property in Øylandsdalen in 1867.
4. Anne Katrine Halvorsdtr., b. 24-sep-1839, d. 6-mar-1902, m. 1) 1-oct-1858 med Knut Pettersen (1835-1876), son of Petter Olsen Rødshammeren, m. 2) 4/9 1890 with widower Søren Olsen Dørsdalen (1829-1897).
5. Paul Karl Halvorsen, b. 10-jun-1841, shipcaptain in Risør, m. 20-aug-1866 with Ingeborg Karoline Gundersdtr. from Lyngør (b. ab. 1845). Ingeborg married 2) with shipcaptain John Halvorsen, Risør. (Paul Karl and Ingeborg Karolines son Halvor Halvorsen was also a shipcaptain. He drove the ship "Tasman" who went down in a storm on the sourhern coast of Norway in february 1914. The whole crew perished.)
6. Ole Haraldus Halvorsen, b. 17-feb-1844, drowned 30-nov-1851.
7. Karoline Halvorsdtr., b. 6-jun-1846, m. 2-jan-1865 with widower Ole Åsmundsen Knuten. To America in 1870.
8. Gunhild Marie Halvorsdtr., b. 30-dec-1848, d. 1913, m. 16-aug-1867 with Lars Pedersen Akland (1841-1905).
9. Karen Halvine Halvorsdtr., b. 14-mar-1851, m. 3-nov-1871 with Lars Ellevsen Rød from Vegårsjei. To America with 4 children in 1884.
10. Oline Marie Halvorsdtr., b. 11-mar-1854, m. 16-oct-1874 with Tarald Severin Ingvaldsen (b. 1850) from Egelands jernverk (Egeland iron mill).
11. Ole Halvorsen, b. 1-aug-1855. At home in Øylandsdalen in (census) 1865.

Halvor Berntsøn, christened in Holla 13-sep-1813, married to Kari Kristine Paulsdatter, b. 31-dec-1813, d. 2-jul-1874, 60 years old.
His parents: Bernt Halvorsøn and Maria Olsdatter
Her parents: Poul Olsen and Gunnild Nielsdatter

Halvor bought a property in Øylandsdalen in 1850. He emigrated to Marinette, Wisconsin on 31-aug-1883, at the age of 70.link
"Halvor Berntsens people" (ie. his children/family) was known to be enterprising and to have a "sharp tongue".

Bernt Halvorsøn, employed at Ulefoss Verk (iron mill) in Holla, later at Herre Verk in Bamble, m. 5-dec-1812 with Maria Olsdatter, b. 1786, d. in Søndeled 11-jun-1879.
Children:
1.Halvor Berntsøn, christened in Holla 13-sep-1813, married to Kari Kristine Paulsdatter, d. 2-jul-1874, 60 years old.
2. Ole Berntsøn, b. 16-feb-1816
3. Åse Maria Berntsdatter, b. in Bamble 2-nov-1818, dead in Øylandsdalen 2-dec-1901, m. to railwayworker Ole Pedersøn, b. in Bamble, 50 years old in (census) 1865, possibly dead on 5-may-1896.

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 10/01/2007 02:05:18
Go to Top of Page

Roehea
Starting member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  18:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan Peter,

Thank you so much! Halvor Berntsen left for Marinette, Wisconsin just a year before his daughter, Karen Halvine (my husband's g-g-grandmother) did, probably around the time that his son-in-law did. My family is from that area so I will have to do more poking around the next time I go to the Marinette County courthouse.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  20:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanda; you've been searching for the ship that Greger and Kirsten Marie went on... and here it is!

Emigration on 12-may-1892:
Ole Gregersen (30), married farmer, residence: America, destination: Amherst Wisconsin
Karen Gregersen (27), married, residence: America
Marie Gregersen (4), residence: America
Greger Gregersen (2), residence: America

Kirsti Halvorsen (57), married, residence Risør, destination: Amherst, Wisconsin
Kirsten Marie has also paid the ticket for the following person:
Karen Knuds. (27), residence Risør, destination Amherst Wisconsin
Is she Gregers & Kirsten Marie's daughter born ca 1864?

Ole Gregersen are Gregers & Kirsten Marie's son, and he must have emigrated before 1892. Because his residence says America already. But at some time he came back to Søndeled/Risør with his wife Karen and two children, "picked up" his mother Kirsti (Kirsten Marie), and went back to Amherst, Wisconsin again.

Kirssen Halvorson (57) arrives on Ellis Island on May 30, 1892 with the ship "Norge", sailing from Copenhagen.
Listed together with her are:
Gregersen, Ole (30)
Gregersen, Karen (27)
Gregersen, Marie (4)
Greger, Greger (2)
Knudson, Karen (27)

The ship "Norge" went from Christiania (Oslo), to Christiansand and then to Copenhagen, Denmark, before crossing the Atlantic.
Ole Gregeren and Kirsten Marie are also registered in the Christiansand database, which is closer to their hometown Risør/Søndeled than Christiania/Oslo. Maybe they boarded the ship in Christiansand.

Kirsten Marie Halvorsdatter is listed as a widow in the Christiansand database, so I would guess "Gregor Olson" never made it to the US...?
Also, the family history book from Søndeled (volume V p. 510-512) list Gregers Olsen Haukedal as living from ca. 1829-1889. I guess the author of the Søndeled family history book could have found his death in the local churchbook...

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/01/2007 20:12:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article