All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Tips and Advice on starting my search
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  01:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just recently taken an intrest in my history after the birth of my son. My father refuses to give me the information I need to begin my search on our family's history. I know my grandmother is Norwegian and that she came over after 1910. He name is Elbie which is short for something like Elgiborge. I do not know her maiden name. This may be impossible to find anything about her. Hopefully you have done this before or have been in my situation. If you have any tips or advice on how or what I can do to find more information , I would love to hear for you. Thank you for your time.

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  11:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you list yourself in Canada, I'll assume that "Elbie" moved to Canada after leaving Norway. Look for Canadian records about her - especially any that will give you at least a good estimate of her birth year and the year that she left Norway, censuses? city directories?, birth certificates of any children born to her? marriage license?, court records? death record? Also look at all Canadian records closely for any possible mention of names used and WHERE in Norway she came from.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  13:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you should find any Elbjørg take a better look up on her.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  17:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would you guesstimate Elbjørg's year of birth to be? (E.g. when were her children born, when did she marry?)

The children could also be named after her parents..., so their names (especially if they "sound" Scandinavian), could be of great value.

You mention that she came to Canada after 1910, how do you know?

1911 Census for Canada could be a place to look, although maybe too early.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  18:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all so mcuh. I will try and give you more details. I think I was wrong about 1910. I believe she was born in 1918 and came over while she was still a child. She came to Vancouver. Thats where she met my grandfather who she married(not sure when) . My Father was born in 1956 and my grandfather passed away in 1959. My grandmother remarried. My father and Grandmother are both alive today, but at my her stage in life my father will not let me ask her tough questions. I tried to get the information ( year/place of birth, maiden name, parents names) from him but he refused. It's like some sort of seceret. Which is probably why I am so interested. Thank you so much for the tips and advice. This is the first time I have ever researched someone. I knew it would be a long shot. Thank you all so much.

Jessica
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2008 :  19:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll throw out some possibilities.
The one from Vestnes in Møre & Romsdal looks promising, although this is a wild shot...

Emigration from Ålesund on 20 APR 1923:
Knut Knutsen Wiig, b 1889, from Vestnes, dest Canada
Nikoline Wiig, wife, b 1886
Elbjørg Wiig, daughter, b 21 JAN 1918

Emigration from Trondheim on 09 SEP 1922:
Johannes Lund Juliussen, b 1899, from Brønnøy, dest Canada
Astrid Henriette Juliussen, wife, b 1896
Elbjørg Hardine Juliussen, daughter, b 03 OCT 1921
Hjalmar Kristian Juliussen, b 1900

Emigration from Trondheim on 14 NOV 1927, arrival: Halifax 23 NOV 1927:
Alma Peggy Marie Brekkaas, b 1900, from Melhus, dest Canada
Elbjørg Brekkaas, daughter, b 18 FEB 1926
(twin with Aslaug)

Jan Peter

Edited by - jwiborg on 25/03/2008 23:01:50
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  00:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again! I am having a bit of trouble reasearching these names. I was able to find a few names in the BC Vital Archives which shows a Elling Nicholai Wiig passed away in Vancouver in 1944. Is it possible they may have altered their names after coming to Canada. As for Knut Knutsen I couldnt find anything in the Vital Archives but I did find a Johannes Johannson Wiig. Could that be a match. I also noticed the dates are a little off by a few years. ( the site list the ages of death) You are right that one does sound very promising. I am totally new at this as you can see. How did you find that information?

Jessica
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  08:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops I just realized that Elling Nicholai Wiig was a male, not Female. So i guess that isn't a possibilty. There are far more Wiggs than the other names though. Sorry for the mix up.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  08:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any way of obtaining the date of birth for your Elbie?

Social security papers, official documents, wedding record, tax return papers...? Birthday-cards...?

Elbjørg Wiig is born in Vestnes, Møre & Romsdal on 21 JAN 1918.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  09:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I am very sure now that she was born in 1918. Last year when I saw my Father he told me she was turning 90 this year.

I wish I could get a hold of that information. My Grandmother was a pack rat and I was never allowed in it when I was younger. And now I think her and my father are too embarassed to let us in. I know she must have the information somewhere in her house but it would take hours to find and would probably be charged with break and entering.
Unfortunatly she isn't all there anymore so asking her these questions wont get me anywhere or may upset her. It so strange because her and my father have never talked about their family (My dads grandparents on both sides) . It has only been recently that I found out who my biological grandfather was because they NEVER spoke of him. I would love to find out my family history but I may have hit a brick wall. Thanks again for your help. I will use the info I have and I won't give up. :)
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  10:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question would be, did she turn 90 on January 21st?

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Holly
Medium member

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  20:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Early memory is the last to go, even with Altzheimers. I was subjected to better than an hour of the particulars of chicken farming after my dad asked Grandpa about it. Ask her!
Go to Top of Page

tlwright65

USA
433 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  23:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Knut Knutsen Wick who was 86 and died on 16 Jun 1976 in Delta, BC.

I also found a Nikoline Petrine Wick age 74 who died on 24 Oct 1961 in New Westminster.

Don't know if they're related, but I thought I'd put it out there since they were mentioned above!

Tami

Edited by - tlwright65 on 26/03/2008 23:09:36
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  23:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to tell you I freaked when I saw that. I also went and looked and found both of them too! And for some reason when I saw the name Wick it almost seemed familar in a way. And to top it all off my Grandmother has lived in Delta for as long as I can Remeber!!!! I got chills I think this Is them!
Thank you all so much! This is SO exciting

Edited by - Jacksmommy on 26/03/2008 23:22:50
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  23:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knut Knutsens baptismal record is #21
and Nikoline Petersdatters record is #17
Nikolines parents married in 1874, see #9
Knuts parents were Knut Iversen and Eline Ellingsen and they married in 1877.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/04/2008 05:14:04
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  02:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been comfirmed. I pulled up my grandfathers death certificate at the library and he was married to Eldbjorg Wick. Thank you all again so much. To think the first shot was the right one Jan... thanks

All this new information is wonderful. Now I have some names of people in the last 3 generations on my dads side that I had never heard of before! The links to the records are great. I don't know how people can read them! hahah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article