All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Tips and Advice on starting my search
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  09:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad it was the right one!

The 3 Elbjørg's I listed was actually the only possible candidates leaving Norway for the period you listed, I checked all the possible departure ports in Norway.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  11:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vestnes and Tresfjord/Sørsylte (Sylte) are located to Møre & Romsdal county.
Vestnes is central, south of Molde town and Sørsylte/Tresfjord is not to bee seen in the map, it´s the inner part of the a small fjord, Tresfjord ,south of Vågstranda and Vestnes .
Tresfjord and Sørsylte is now a part of Vestnes municipality

Vestnes 1900:
Nicoline and her parents on farm Stenødegaard, her father Peter was a widower, farmer and carpenter. Nicoline had four siblings.

Vestnes church and municipality.

Sylte 1900:
Knut Knudsen with his parents and four siblings.
His father Knud Iversen Wiig was a merchant. The family lived on farm Syltebakken in Tresfjord in Sørsylte

Tresfjord church where Eldbjørg Wiig was bap. March 3. 1818 #5

Syltebakken is 12. fhoto from top

Stenødegård is 14. fhoto from top.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 27/03/2008 19:54:37
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  20:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that is amazing! It is so cool to see her name written on paper like that. To think I knew almost nothing about her 5 days ago. Now I have more info than I know what to do with!
I could just barley make out that Iver K Wigg and Emma K Wigg were both wittnesses. I can't make out the name above though.

The links to the pictures are also incredible. What a beautiful place. It made me want to pack my bags and jump on the next plane. ( a future trip I am now planning )

A couple more questions if I may.
Was it common for people to change their names like that after immagrating? (Wiig - Wick) And where did the name Wiig come from?
I was also wondering about the siblings of both Nikoline and Kunt Kuntsen. Did any siblings end up immagrating too? Or is there a slight possibility that I may have living realtives still in norway? (Childrens childrens?)

Thank you all so much for your help. There is NO WAY I could have done it without all of you! Thanks

Jessica

Edited by - Jacksmommy on 27/03/2008 22:52:45
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  23:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most emigrants changed names in USA.
The farm name Wiig changed from century to century as: Vik, Wik, Vigh, Wiigh (1669) and Wiig (1723).
The pronuncition sounds like Wick.
Vik means bay.

The origin of this Wiig is coming from farm Viik in Indfjorden in Eid & Vold parish by Åndalsnes east of Vestnes in Romsdalsfjorden, see the map above.

Indfjorden schooldistrict in Eid & Vold parish 1865.
Farmer Elling Larsen and wife Anne Andersdatter, his parents Lars Knudsen and Guri Ellingsdatter, one daughter Brit and four servants.

Their daughter Elina Ellingsdatter was helping her grandparents, her mothers parents, Anders Andersen and Eli Iversdatter on farm Valastøl

With so many siblings even some of them emigrated, it would surprice me if you don´t have a lot af relatives in Norway.
Emigration lists from Ålesund could perhaps give an answere if some of them emigrated.

The pronunciation of Eldbjørg sounds like Elbjoerg.

Those two other of Eldbjørgs godparents were Nikolines oldest brother Rasmus Petersen Stenødegaard and his wife Astrid.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 28/03/2008 00:46:26
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  21:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to bring this topic back up again, but i would also hate to lose the information everyone has kindly brought up for me. I have a few more questions please!

What was Nikoline' Mothers name. Her father was Peter Martiusen. On the marrige record for Nikoline's parents I cannot read her mother's name

I would also like to know how far back you can trace these families. You have gotten me a far back as Knut Iversen And Eline Ellingsen's marrige in 1877. And Nikoline's parents in 1874. Very cool! These people are my gr.gr. grandparents!

I would like to try and go farther back researching their parents and theirs before them.

Since my last posts I have started to draw a HUGE family tree for my year old son. Hopefully when he is my age, he will be as intrested in it as I am. Thanks to everyone, we have information that is 150 years older than him.

Thank you all for everything you have done for me, and Thank you ahead of time for helping me out.

Jessica
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  22:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicolines parents marriage record of May 31 1874 #9
shows that her father was farmers son Peter Martinus Martinusen and her mother was Lovise Severine Andreasdatter.
Peters parents can be found at the 1865 census, Peter was then 17 years old , see here
his father was Martinus Petersen as in the wedding record and his mother was Ragnild Knudsdatter. (Knud Martinusen at the head is Peters brother)
The proof is Peters birth record
Peters father Martinus Petersen was actually baptized "Martines" on July 10 1803, see the second from the top here
his father was Peder Madsen Melsæth and the mother Pernille Olsdatter.
Peder Madsen and Pernille Olsdatter baptized a girl March 31 1802, see Karn Gurine
Peter Mogensen (Peder Madsen) and Pernille Olsdatter Melseth married April 20 1801, see right page
Pernilles parents and siblings in 1801

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 19/04/2008 23:10:30
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  23:50:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovise Severine Andreasdatter was from the Krogen farm. In 1865 she is here
her parents were Andreas Larssen and Nicoline Petersdatter.
Andres Larsens father Lars Larsen is also there.
Lovise Severine was born Oct 8 1854, see #78
Andreas and Nikoline married June 30 1850, see #16
Andreas came from Drotninghaug, he was born Febr 4 1821, see #12
his parents were Lars Johnsen and Olave Carlsdatter.
and Nikoline came from Krogen, she was born March 20, see #22
her parents were Peter Nilsen and Synneve Andersdatter.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 20/04/2008 00:12:55
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  23:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! That is absolutely AMAZING! My hands hurt from writig so many names down! Thank you again so much! This means so much to me! Thank you!

Jessica
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  23:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since my first post I have been looking at this digital archives quite a bit. I like to think I am learning how to use it
I tried to look up Knud Iverson. I dont know how to post a link, But is that him with his family and father Iver Andreas Knudsen on the very first page of the 1865-telling for 1524 Nordalen census?

This is kind of embarassing because I am so new at this. I find it very interesting ( my husband says I am addicted )

Thank you all again for your help and patience with me Its greatly appreciated!

Jessica

Edited by - Jacksmommy on 21/04/2008 03:23:34
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  00:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont be embarrassed, I dont dare to tell how many days it took me before I learned to insert a Hyperlink, argh.
Edit Reply is my "best friend" here.

Her is the instruction

Posting from a church book, remember to click on: on top, ( image information in the blue line on top of the page) and use : Permanent Pagelink

Good luck

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 21/04/2008 00:39:45
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  03:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Kåarto for the tips... I think I got it.

So my question is, Is this Knut Iverson with his family and father Iver Andreas Knudsen here? ?
Or is this him here?
I am having trouble with this one...
I used the map above to find the closest census to Sylte. I dont know if I am going in the right direction..
Thanks Again!

Jessica

Edited by - Jacksmommy on 23/04/2008 20:49:25
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  08:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eline Ellingsdatter was born out of wedlock March 28 1851, see #5
her parents were Elling Andersen Valved and Guri Olsdatter, Skjelbostad.
Elines father was born July 2 1825 and baptized Ellend, see #6
his parents were Anders Andersen and Eli Iversdatter, Valved. (Eline stayed with them in 1865 at the Valstøl farm)
(Farmer Elling Larsen and wife Anne Andersdatter, his parents Lars Knudsen and Guri Ellingsdatter at the wiik farm in 1865 was not Elines parents and grandparents)
Elines grandfather Anders Andersen was born out of wedlock March 18 1799, see second child left page here
his parents were Eli Jacobsdatter (she and her son Anders in 1801)
and Anders Halvorsen, he was here in 1801

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/04/2008 18:02:21
Go to Top of Page

Jacksmommy
Starting member

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  09:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOoohhhh! Ok! I see where I went wrong there. Thank you for clearing that up for me, I could have made a terrible mistake there! I think I must have been very excited and jumping to conclusions.( Also more proof of how new to this I am )

Jessica

Edited by - Jacksmommy on 21/04/2008 09:21:13
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  09:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knut Iversen Viig and Eline Ellingsdatters first child Ivar Edevard Viig was born May 12 1877, see #11
Elines grandparents Anders Andersen and Eli Iversdatter were married April 4 1825. See right hand page #7
Anders was 26 years and came from Wenaas, Eli was 28 years and came from Walved.
Eli with her mother (widow) and siblings in 1801
Eli was born May 10 1796, see the second child from the bottom on left hand page here
Her parents were Iver Iversen and Beret Halvorsdatter.
Iver and Beret married Jan 14 1781. See second marriage on top of right hand page here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 22/04/2008 09:29:44
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  21:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knut Iversen Viig and Eline Ellingsdatters second child was Beret Anna Emilie born Jan 9 1880, see #8
Their third child was Olianna born March 11 1882, see #15

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/04/2008 21:57:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article