All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Need information on Karoline Khristiansen b. 1838
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  06:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, sometimes it is so simple, but I just can't see it until you point it out. Toten does not start out as Østre Toten. Needed to look further in the listing.
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  02:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received bygdebok; first look thru yielded two answers. Ole Madsen sold Enga to Hans Buras (second husband to his brother Jorgen's widow), if I'm translating correctly, in 1811. This is approximately the same time that Han Buras sells Madsstua.

Where our Christian's sister, Berthe Olsdtr married after that date (she was married July 4, 1818). Her then coming from another farm, Ødemark, makes sense.

The bygdebok supports that there were four brothers, fathered by Ole Olsen; including Jørgen Olsen who farmed Madsstua before his son-in-law, Mads Olsen did with wife Birte Jørgensdtr. The other brother that got the other half of the farm was Nils, the farm Jordet. One other brother David, goes to Jensstua av Nordgardn (marrying the widow there, Mari Havorsd). I was unclear where the name 'David' was coming from, and why the farm was divided as it was. Now makes better sense to me.

Again, Mange Tusen Takk for telling me that the book was still in print! Now if I can JUST figure out the exchange, so as to pay the bill.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  04:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Search for "currency conversion" on the Internet.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  07:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The area Toten is two municipalities, Østre (Eastern) and Vestre (Western) Toten including Gjøvik Town .

Down page:
The censuses are "Folketellinger og mantall" including links to Bygdebooks, emigration records, military records, old probate registers "Skifteprotokoller" , some cemetries "Gravsteder", Court protocols "Tingbøker" etc.

Madsstua - Mads house/cabin, Jensstua - Jens house/cabin,
the origin could be small places without land. Nordgardn - The northern farm, Enga - Meadow, Buraas, bur is either coming from message or cage, aas (Ås) means ridge.

Good luck in reading the Bygdebook, help with translations can be done.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 06/02/2009 08:57:57
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  19:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kare, for the clarification on Toten. I decided to give my bank the job of figuring out the exchange, but thank you too Hopkins for the suggestion.

Laptop going in for tune up, so will be nice to have the books to do research, while the computer is gone. With weather warming up, heat wave at 34 degrees, will request Bygdebook that covers Berger farms in Aurskog thru my library, if available. From the references the researchers made on this site, I thought the Bygdebook would probably be similar to the County histories in Wisconsin, published in the early 1900s. To some degree they are and the one for Hurdal, so very interesting to me! Thanks again to you Eibache, for telling me it was in print.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article