All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Need information on Karoline Khristiansen b. 1838
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  03:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre
In the geneology listings for the link you posted, is one of the incorrect claims to the baptism record for our Christian. Earlier research found that LDS records have issue, that may also be adding to the confusion.

But, I did very much enjoy touring this site and whenever I can get a laptop to Gert and/or her to a laptop, there are a lot of things I can't wait to show her. We are both somewhat housebound. Sadly, she doesn't do computers. But, I send her screen prints, so that she can see how the tree is progressing and hard copy of the history, which she enjoys very much.

Appreciate the thought and your posting the link, so that I don't forget to include it for her.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  11:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emigrants from Feiring and Hurdal 1853-1909, I see Bækkedal in 1854 and Tosterud in 1854- 1882-1883-1886-1905-1906-1909

Here is Knaibakken, Madsstua and Tosterud mentioned.
To much information can be confusing and I can´t verify these family trees so perhaps I´ll slow down.

Kåre

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 17/01/2009 11:23:02
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  16:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, please do not slow down. Last tree was excellent. If correct, it clarifies that Borger Svendsen, Ødemark, was the father of Susanne Borgersdatter, Ødemark & Inger Borgersdatter, Ødemark. Susanne Borgersdatter is the grandmother of our Birte Jorgensdtr. Inger Borgersdatter was the mother of Borger Evensen, Ødemark, father of Marte Borgersdatter, Ødemark (who married Lars Gulbrandsen, Knai). This provides a common ancestor for myself and the author of the Knain farm query. Albeit, not to the female that I need for a test, but still a link that can possibly be proven out, at some point in time. The tree provided additional information on descendants of Susanne Borgersdatter's other two sons & the sisters of Jorgen and Ole Madsen too.

Thank you very much, all assistance is appreciated. It would seem like a good idea to direct the author of the 'Knain farm' inquiry to read this thread now. I don't think it would be good to post to that thread - where the data is not proven out. But, she might now find the info in this last tree, very helpful! Pedigree view is worth much, when you are just starting.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  22:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never trust all kind of family trees online, it´s a lot of garbage, many copies without been controled so errors are reprodusing, but many seems relyable and honest to me.

This info. seems to be coming from the "Bygdebok"
Here is Susanne Borgersdatter Ødemark (Wilderness) and this should be Lars Gulbrandsen Knai

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 18/01/2009 00:29:14
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  20:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you say, Kåre, some family trees online has lots of garbage, but some is reliable & as Eibache puts it, 'use with caution.' I think they are helpful sometimes to see the big picture, but not as proofs. Examples would be; how the Borger Svendsen, Ødemark, & Borger Evensen, Ødemark could be related / generations apart from one another and/or how the English came to be in Hurdal with the Glass works there.

Using patronymic naming system helps much to identify the garbage. The emphasis on this site, of learning it, has helped so much in this area.
Good information on the English workers at the Glassworks in:
http://www.pein.se/glassblowers.htm
Without it, doubt I would have looked for a first wife, and then identified the same, for Nils Thomas in 1801 Census. Proving out who she was using baptism of child Carl, was not that difficult. But, it helped to know more about the father to begin with. Their descendants marry Madsen descendants, so there is some 'feet tangling' . But not affecting our direct line that I have found.

Is there an Emigrants from Hadeland, that would be like the link you gave me for Feiring and Hurdal? If there is, I am not searching right to find it.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  23:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting link you included. The next is only a guess.

How could Borger Evensen Ødemark and Borger Svendsen Ødemark be related is almost impossible to say, could be cousins or same person if it is a wrongspelling online, a misundertstanding of the two names, 1600 language, because of bad ink, bad or damaged paper, wrongspelling, blurred writing etc.
If the letter S was "gone" borger vendsen and borger evensen could be the same person.
Only acess to the Bygdebok might bring an answere to that.

Hadeland is a large area consisting of 4 municipalities, see this site for Hadeland lag of USA

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 18/01/2009 23:42:56
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  12:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found interesting information while proofing some of the marriage records for the Madsens. Ole Madsen's wife Anne Nielsdtr was born Lynas, Norway. Marriage by Ingeborg Nielsdtr to Lars Larsen, 28 Nov, 1790, was also borne Lynas, Norway. Witnesses were Ole Madsen, Knai and Ole Ulricsen, Knai. He was U: K: Soldier, residence Sand.

Found this couple later with their children in the 1801 Census of Norway, she at 38 years of age. Begge i 1ste egteskab with her husband who is Saugmester at Giødings Priviligerede Saugbrug, Hurdal, Askershus, Norway. The mother's sister, is the first tie to Garsiøen for our Christian. Might not be sister, but most likely - given Lynas, and Ole Madsen as witness. Looking more promising all the time, to be able to proof out.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=21&filnamn=f1801&gardpostnr=7507&merk=7507
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  12:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry grabbed the wrong record:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=10&filnamn=f18010239&gardpostnr=2&personpostnr=76&merk=76#ovre"
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  13:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Pedersen was from Saugen (Saw mill), he was a saw master in 1801 on Gjødings saw mill, she was from Tosterud.
They married Jan. 1. 1791 in Hurdal, best men Niels Bratlie and Niels Moen here

Funerals fom Hurdal 1777-1800 if some is missing in the 1800 census

Still looking for emigrants from Hadeland.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 20/01/2009 13:39:49
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  07:22:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kåre, thank you for the funerals. I did find Børger Evensen Ømark, born 1705, died 1781 at 76. His daughter as well I believe, but need to recheck what I already have on her - to make sure the dates jibe.

Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  20:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reviewing records you included in your last post, for Bratlie - again ran into the other Christian Olsen (8 at the time of the 1801 Census) that I believe is getting mixed up with ours, in family histories, spelling is Christen:
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=17&filnamn=f18010239&gardpostnr=29&personpostnr=885&merk=885#ovre"

Our Christian Olsen was 6, at the time of the 1801 Census; and that is in agreement with his marriage record in Urskoug, that Eibache located earlier.

Thanks again to you both so much for all of your help. More records, especially naming for siblings families of Carl's (Christian's son in our line) will help too. Did not pursue this for the short term (naturalization records due to come on line); felt time best spent elsewhere until available.
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  21:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe I finally located Mads Olsen Knain's death record. Not quite sure how I missed it the first time thru. Perhaps, didn't expect such longevity; he is 87.
Kildeinformasjon: Akershus fylke, Hurdal, Ministerialbok nr. I 1 (1777-1812), Døde og begravede 1813, Fødte og døpte 1812, side 115.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7667&idx_id=7667&uid=ny&idx_side=-117
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061106020303.jpg

Could you help me with the exact date? I can't read it.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  21:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mads Olsen Knain was buried Jan. 10. 1813.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 21/01/2009 21:47:28
Go to Top of Page

crymisty
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  19:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After further review, I see that Folktales of Norway By Reidar Thoralf Christiansen, Pat Shaw Iversen/Translated by Pat Shaw Iversen, is more help than I originally thought.

Within it (as separate stories) are excerpts from the full length folktale, "Berte's Tuppenhaug". So it has been translated, just broken up in to shorter stories in the retelling. The "Interrupted Huldre Wedding at Melbustad", and "The Man Who Became Huldren" in this work , are part of the 'fairytale in Norwegian', I located on line. There may be others as well. But, I did easily identify those two, in the auto translated version.

Also, found the marriage date for in the in-laws of Maria Eriksen Knain, on the Hadeland lag of USA link you provided.

If I want to further research parish records for Gran or Jevnaker, Oppland, Norway, for the early 1800s, can you tell me which parish(s) to search under?

Your help is so appreciated, thanks once again!
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  19:55:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gran or Jevnaker here

Einar
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article