All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 John R Kloster b. Feb 1860 Norway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  00:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
I have corrected Martha/Margit Hougstvedt? to Maage, I thought the name was uncomplited because of lack of paper and got lost in a blind track and for confirming it was the right wedding couple.
Still missing two of the persons who drowned, Martha Urheim age 69 and Jacob Tokhein age 17.

Off the record.
Old names and spellings from church records to censuses and then to local pronunciations and modern Norwegian in a Bygdebook can be a trial.

As for the most common mans name in the old days, Ole, some authors use consistent Olav, and as for todays Sekse, between 1306-1723 it has been spelled: Sækkse, Sexinn, Sexsin, Sexine, Segsin, Sæxin, Segxsen, Sæxen, Sexenn, Segxse, Sæxe.

Kåre

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 05/08/2008 00:33:59
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  00:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Urheim and Tokheim were in Odda. I don't recall if Odda kept separate parish records during that particular time period.

I know the spellings have changed a great deal through the years. I've tracked ancestors from those areas back to the beginning of records and my collection of those various spellings is quite large. Also made use the Rygh information to add to that collection for the farm names. But the spellings I was noticing as especially strange actually appear more like the spellings used by descendants in the American middle west today.
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  09:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacob Tokheim must be Jacob Joensøn, his record is here
he was 45 years old, not 17.
Martha Urheim must be Margaretha Tobiasdatter, death record here

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 06/08/2008 09:31:50
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  15:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya guys~
sorry I havent posted in a lil while I have been stuck in bed with a bad back :( but I am now back and starting to do more research I am going to start to research Ola Engellson and see if I can order some of the books on microfilm at the lds in my area

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  17:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Odda, Ullensvang og Kinsarvik i gamal og ny tid" volumes by Olav Kolltveit available on LDS microfilm #1124552 Items 2-9. Ringøy farm information begins on page 219 of volume V-2 (5-2).
The ættarboks (Norwegian genealogies) for Øyfjord, Ulvik, Kinsarvik, Odda, Udlesvang volumes by Aam. K. Bu available on LDS microfilms #1259725 and # 1259728. Ringøy farm information begins about page 104 of the volume for Kinsarvik (film #1259725, [item 3?]).

Spellings used in the two different publications are rarely a perfect match. Think "sounds like" and compare with that in mind. Most of all - have fun!!

Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  14:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome hopkins
thank you so much for the micro film roll numbers
another question for the Jon Olavson Bjotveit the poem he wrote about the wedding of espe I know it says see Hardanger» 1917, side 29 would that poem be in the book for hardanger

Edited by - jilliankloster on 12/08/2008 14:05:03
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  15:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know what book is being referenced by Hardanger» 1917, side 29. I have no personal recognition of that citation. I would need more information about the book to be able to identify whether or not I've ever seen or used it.

I know that at least sections of the poem are included in volume 1 of the "Odda, Ullensvang og Kinsarvik i gamal og ny tid" that I mentioned on a previous page of this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  16:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also wondering about the meaning of:
Hardanger 1917 side (page) 29.
It make no sence to me.
We have Odda, Ullensvang and Kinsarvik Volume 1-2-3 written by Olav Kolltveit as Hopkins mention above written 1963-1967.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  17:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a total of eight (8) bound volumes in "Odda, Ullensvang og Kinsarvik i gamal og ny tid" by Kolltveit. The first two (volumes 1 and 2) are general history, history of the churches, history of the sherriffs, history during various wars, etc.etc. The remaining volumes are numbered 3-1 and 3-2 (history of farms/genealogy in Odda), 4-1 and 4-2 (history of farms/genealogy in Ullensvang) and 5-1 and 5-2 (history of farms/genealogy in Kinsarvik).

The ættarboks (Norwegian genealogies) for Øyfjord, Ulvik, Kinsarvik, Odda, Udlesvang volumes by Aam. K. Bu were written years earlier (most before WWII) and contain very little historical narrative. They are laid out in a simplified spreadsheet style and list by family group names, birth dates, vital dates and give references (by farm name and item number) to family members who came from other farms or who later moved and resided on different farms. (I like to call them the "Bu Books")

These two works occasionally disagree on information - but that is where having the parish records and other primary sources like probate files available online and/or on LDS microfilm is very very helpful. When in doubt - research it yourself.

Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  17:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys~
I will definitely have to research this more in depth when I get to LDS and thoroughly research this more
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2008 :  16:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya guys
the info for Jon Olavsen Bjotveit what they meant by see Hardanger I got a reply from Yngve as I was curious to ask what they meant by see Hardanger 1917 page 29
I was told that Hardanger is one magazine that was published for Hardanger historielag for 1917 The edition Stand visa to John Olsen at the pages 29-35.
He said that they have it there and that they can send copies to me via postal so I wrote him back and enclosed my postal address

Edited by - jilliankloster on 18/08/2008 21:49:00
Go to Top of Page

jilliankloster

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  21:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins if you like when I receive the copy of the magazine I can send you a copy of the magazine they are sending me that has Jon Olavsen Bjotveit being that we have some connection
Let me know I would be more then happy to send it to you
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2008 :  22:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Hardanger” is as said above a periodical published by Hardanger historielag.

Olav Kolltveit (1894-1979) was an editor for the magazine for over 50 years, from 1917-1970.

Jan Peter
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  11:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jillian - I' might have a couple questions about the magazine or the excerpted pages being sent to you later - but I don't think you should worry about sending me a copy. I am slightly curious about this wedding disaster at? Espe farm but I could work at translating from the bygdeboks. Not a task I enjoy a great deal - but good for me to continue to work at - how else do I learn? Perhaps I can find time to work on that at the FHC sometime very soon.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  11:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could I also as for a copy Lillian, could be interesting to see the reason for the disaster, bad weather or bad luck.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article